When you are asked to define a teenager, it might happen that you will perceive them moody and reverie than being logically thinking persons. A teenagers is in the phase of transition and development, they assume that they know everything but in practical life they extremely lack the reality experiences.
Teenagers usually have different thinking patterns than adults. Their driving force are temptations which leads them to make tough decisions in life. This is because a teenager thinks from the prefrontal cortex part of their brain which is in developing phase whereas an adult thinks and takes decision from the fearful facial expression side of their brain. The teenage brain takes amygdala part of their brain in working to understand a problem, make decision and solve the problems. The amygdala part is associated with emotions, impulses, aggression and impulsive behavior of a person.
Understanding a teenager Brain:
A teenager’s brain is occupied with several thoughts and irrational reactions. Their brains usually reacts more towards risks, mistreating emotions, giving up in peer groups, lack of self-control, sleep problems, anxiety and sleeping issues. Other factors in this era affecting the teenage brain intensely are digital gadgets. The socializing and digitalization have make a teenage brain more complex which not only affects their normal daily functioning but also their academic studies.
Thanks to several psychological studies on teenagers, we are now able to understand some of the basic teenage behavior and develop a keen insight of a teenage brain. During the brain development, a teenage might have issues like:
- He might react on impulses
- Get themselves into all kind of troubles and risks due to adrenaline rush.
- Get involves in unnecessary fights because of their angers issues or behavioral development.
- Misinterpret other’s emotions and social clues. Become rigid to understand others opinion or problems.
- Does not even bother to pay attention to the outcomes of their actions.
Teenage basically is a part of age in which a person is developing his personality and brain. He passes through every phase and emotion to endure its essence. Having all these issues does not mean that a teenager is a ruthless person who would not change come towards positivity. Neither it means that a teenager’s brain is unable to make proper decision or tell the difference between right or wrong.
How to Cope With Teenager Brain
Today in this digital age a teenager brain is engaged in so many different activities that they starts to struggle with stress, boredom, fragile brain issues, learning challenges. Their “digital brain” becomes more rigid towards their adult. Hence parents, teachers, peers, advocates needs to develop some awareness to make them understand their problems and how to overcome them. Some of the techniques through which teenager brain can be manipulated and controlled are:
- Do not frequently ask them what is wrong with them. As teenager brain’s frontal lobe is in developing phase which is responsible for planning, reasoning and impulses. They think and react with their amygdala which tends to promote emotional reaction out of them. Asking frequently might irritate them and make them insecure to be answerable to you.
- Forget about being their life counselor. Instead of lecturing them and telling them positive and negative aspects of their actions or grades for future. Focus on being an understanding mentor to them. Encourage them to positivity by positive comments.
- Don’t leave everything to them. Teenagers are quite irresponsible and do not take responsibility of their actions nor studies. It is necessary to keep an eye on their actions. Let them make their own decisions but it is your duty to guide them throughout.
- Effective communication is the key to resolve every problem. A teenager brain seeks attention. If you being their mentor listen to them with no pin pointing their actions or mistakes, they will efficiently communicate all problems with you and to some extent starts to understand your points as well.